Although I usually opt for simpler breakfasts when backpacking, this veggie scramble recipe is my go-to recovery breakfast after a few hard days on the trail. It dehydrates and rehydrates nicely and hardly takes up much space in your pack. The vegetables were chosen because they're quick to rehydrate -- a must for dehydrated backpacking breakfasts.
½ pound raw washed spinach
½ pound sliced washed raw mushrooms
2 small raw zucchinis
In one bag:
6 tablespoons dried egg powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder (NOT garlic salt)
¼ teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
In second bag:
In separate packages:
2 tablespoons butter or oil
1 pot for cooking
1 spoon for stirring
Serving dishes and utensils
- Rehydrate mushrooms and zucchinis in warm water.
- When the mushrooms and zucchinis are soft carefully drain the water.
- Warm the 2 tablespoons butter or oil in your pan
- Add 12 tablespoons water to the dried egg powder and spices and mix well
- Cook the rehydrated eggs and veggies stirring frequently
- Add parmesan cheese
- Serve and eat.